Friday 31 May 2013

My Top 6 Self Promotion Posts!



So in the third part of the “my top 6 countdown” series: I am going to talk about my top three self promotion blog posts.

Self promotion is very important for authors, because no-one else is going to do it for you. But over doing your promotion can be just as lethal. I think that is why I tend to be very careful in my self-promotion. A lot of my guest posts are marketing based. There is a very good reason for this; I studied Management at degree and masters levels and I concentrated my studies on Human Resources and Marketing. With both I had the opportunity to take it further, but I am someone who doesn’t want to do research the whole of his life so I thought I would get into the working world. Now several years later I am an author.

So how does my top six look like?

6. This post

Surprising to you or not, I don’t have a lot of self promotion. In fact, I had five posts! The top 6 needed a... well 6th. And what better post than a post that combined all my other posts? Of course there is very little new material here for old readers to enjoy. But for a new fan this would be a great place to start to read about me.


This was a fantastic post which I loved doing. But unfortunately it didn’t for me. However it wasn’t because of the post. My first release was delayed – having family problems in the month before really set me back and so there was nothing to show for my hard labour over this post. However what really makes me smile about this was the day after the release of this one of my kids’ school teacher approaches me and tells me he saw my post last night on the blog. So exposure gained, promotion of book failed.


Okay so this isn’t really a blog post, it was a live interview on Facebook. It was a great experience and I enjoyed it immensely. However it is a shame it didn’t have a high attendance at the time; mostly because of my time commitments. If I could do it again, and I would because I loved it, I would perhaps go to their twitter system.


This is an excellent well received post that spoke about some of the tough aspects of being a writer and a parent. I loved writing this and I managed to get in some of my humour in the post. I am surprised no-one mentioned that I must drink about 6 cups of tea a day. Perhaps I am more normal that I thought?


Paul Kater is a great man, an excellent writer and a good person to know. And this interview was a lot of fun to do. I hope to work with Paul in the future on other projects, but right now I am happy to listen to his pearls of wisdom.


This was great fun adn Kriss is such a wonderful person to work with. The post itself is an interesting take on one of my characters and it has brought them back into my mind on how I could work them into other projects. If you read nothing else listed, read this!


Well that is my list. I hope that you agree with my order, if you think another item should have been higher or lower let me know!

If you have enjoyed this article or any other part of my blog please take the time to follow me on twitter and my facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment